What is there NOT to love about chicken salad? Yummy pieces of fresh chicken mixed in with a creamy layer of goodness and crunchy nuggets of this and that? Yum!!! This summer, add some pizazz to your chicken salad and try one of our special versions.
To make a base chicken salad:
• Start with a whole raw chicken. Wash, trim fat and season with salt and pepper. Top with olive oil. Bake for 90 minutes uncovered, or until done, at 350 F.
• Let cool.
• Take of skin, discard. Debone chicken and chop into small pieces.
• Discard carcass (or, use for chicken stock!)
• Add salt, pepper and onion powder to taste.
• Stir in mayonnaise. For creamier chicken salad, add more. If you like a drier blend, use less.
Granny Smith apples
Red onion slices
Green and red grapes
Raw almonds, slivered
Black olives, sliced thin
Cucumber slices to finish