If your family does not come from a long line of Irish blood, or if you are not familiar with classic Irish meals, you may mistake the most popular meal on St. Patty’s Day to be Sheppard’s pie. While this dish is delicious and comforting, the traditional Irish meal to prepare for St. Patrick’s Day is actually corned beef and cabbage with some Irish soda bread on the side. Don’t judge the food before you try it! This meal could quickly become your new go-to dish.
Corned Beef & Cabbage
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket with included pickling spice packet
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut in thirds
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 bag of red potatoes
- 1 head of cabbage, wedged
- Place the brisket into a large stove pot and add the included spice packet. Keep the fat on the brisket while cooking for extra flavor. Cover the brisket in water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. Cook for about 1 hour and 40 minutes until everything is tender.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Trim the fat off the brisket, slice and serve with the vegetables. Enjoy or save for another day! (TIP: It is always better the next day).
Irish Soda Bread
- 6 cups sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup of raisins
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar together.
- Knead in the softened butter. Once mixed, knead in the milk and eggs. Once mixed, add the raisins and knead.
- Grease a loaf pan and pour the mixture in. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- If you desire, sprinkle with sugar or salt. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours.
Looking for a festive Irish Drink?
For the parents, grab a cold glass of Guiness or put some Bailey’s liquor into a cup of coffee for a delicious pairing with the St. Patrick’s Day Cuisine.
For kids, make some Irish punch! Mix together 3 parts ginger ale, 1 part orange juice and 1 part limeade. Then add 4 scoops of lime sherbet and a few drops of green food coloring. Top with whipped cream and an orange slice on the rim or dye some whipped cream orange!
Strawberry Picking In Gainesville And Beyond!
5 Tips For Making Homework Feel Less Like Work
Celebrate St. Patty’s Day From Home With These Crafts!