Summer is here and that means so is the Fourth of July! This patriotic flag 4th of July wreath is the perfect craft to do with your little ones when it’s raining outside and they’re parading around the house that they’re bored. Whip out these materials and get ready to add some red, white and blue to your front door!
Patriotic 4th of July wreath materials:
• 3 packs of 24 wooden clothespins
• One pack of multi-sized wooden stars
• Red, white and blue acrylic paint
• Red, white and blue glitter (optional)
• 4 plastic bags (like the ones from the grocery store)
• Wire wreath (We used a 16 inch one!)
• Glue gun and glue sticks
Here’s how to make your wreath:
1. Assemble the wooden clothespins on the wire wreath. As you put the clothespins on the wreath, arrange them so that two are on clipped on the first two wires and two are clipped on the bottom two wires.
2. Once your wreath is completely filled with the clothespins, on the upper left side of the circle count out 21 clothespins and label them as blue. Then, in groups of four clothespins, label each group alternating red and white. (Start with red.)
3. Once you have labeled all of the clothespins, take them off of the wreath and set them apart in the plastic bags. (One bag will hold all of the red clothespins, etc.)
4. Put on your gloves. Then, in its appropriate bag, drop about half of the bottle of acrylic paint into the bag. Close the bag up and shake it, so that the paint coats all sides of the clothespin. Take each clothespin and lay it out to dry. As it begins to dry, generously sprinkle the pertaining glitter on the paint. Wait for it to dry.
5. Repeat step 4 with the wooden stars. The amount of stars and sizes of each are up to you and your little ones!
6. Once the paint and glitter have dried, arrange them on the wreath as you did the first time. (It should now begin to resemble the American flag)
7. Using the hot glue gun, glue your stars onto the blue wooden clothespins, in whatever order you and your tot prefer!
8. Let dry completely, and hang it on your door for a complete patriotic 4th of July look!
*Please be careful when using the glue gun around your little one. The gun can get very hot!
By Renee Castro