You may think a grilled cheese is the most basic of sandwiches, but there are definitely ways to take your grilled cheese to the next level. April 12 is National Grilled Cheese day, so use our tips to help create a cheesy delight that your kids will rave about!
- Use a stove, not a toaster!
- Pick the best bread. We like English muffin bread and sourdough, but go with whatever bread your kiddo likes best, even if that is plain ole white bread.
- Add a bit of mayo for a perfectly toasted sandwich.
- Start toasting the bread before you even add the cheese.
- Instead of your typical American cheese, try using Gruyere or Provolone, or even add multiple cheeses. You can never go wrong with more than one cheese!
- Grilled cheese does not need to be JUST cheese. Add some bacon and/or tomato, or get creative and add avocado, caramelized onions, peppers or even potato chips!
- Keep the heat medium to medium-low to avoid burnt bread with unmelted cheese — the worst possible combination when it comes to a grilled cheese!
- If you own a panini press and like an extra crispy grilled cheese, try using it for your next sandwich. If you do not have a panini press, have no fear. Simply use your spatula to press the sandwich down while it cooks for a similar effect.