Cereal is a quick and easy breakfast option for busy families. We’ve all been minutes away from rushing out the door only to take a quick pause for some Lucky Charms. All you need is a few minutes to pour cereal and milk in a bowl, grab a spoon and you’ve got the perfect breakfast meal. However, many of our favorite cereals like Frosted Flakes or Fruity Pebbles are filled with harmful sugars that can ruin what is supposed to be the most important meal of the day.
Many popular cereals contain food additives that are potentially harmful, but the sugar content in many of these cereals targeted towards children is a cause for concern. A study done by the Environmental Working Group found that children’s cereal has over 40 percent more sugar than cereal marketed to adults on average. A single serving of some of the most sugary cereals can contain nearly as much sugar as three Chips Ahoy! Cookies.
While these tasty cereals can be a fun treat once in a while, for your kids’ everyday breakfast, there are plenty of healthier options with less sugar that can become part of the daily breakfast routine.
Seven Cereals with Less Added Sugar
- Rice Chex — This gluten-free cereal is the perfect amount of subtly sweet and crispy. It has only 2 g of sugar, which comes from molasses and sugar rather than artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup.
2. Post Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted — This cereal combines honey roasted granola with crispy flakes. I like to think of it as the healthy alternative to frosted flakes. It’s tasty and high in whole grains.
3. General Mills Cheerios — Cheerios are high in fiber and low in sugar. A classic breakfast cereal, the crunchy O’s are also great for your heart health. Cheerios also have a number of flavors to choose from ranging from peanut butter chocolate to strawberry and banana. While these fun flavors may have a bit more sugar than the classic flavor, they are still a great healthy option that kids will love.
4. General Mills Kix — Kix is a puffed-grain cereal made with cornmeal. It’s low in sugar and a great source of iron. The crispy puffs are a tasty, nutritious option that kids will devour, both in a bowl with milk and alone as a snack.
5. Kashi Honey Toasted Oat Cereal — This organic cereal combines honey-toasted hearts and Os made from whole grain oats. One serving provides almost half of the recommended daily dose of whole grains. The flavor is simple but sweet.
6. Barbara’s Shredded Wheat — This delicious shredded wheat cereal is a wholesome breakfast choice. It’s 100% whole grain and has 0 grams of sugar! Top this cereal off with some fresh fruit for a healthy added sweetness.
7. Quaker Life — This heart-healthy cereal is an excellent source of 5 B vitamins. Similar to Rice Chex, this cereal has a subtly sweet flavor and a crisp crunch. It also comes in flavors like chocolate and vanilla for some sweetness.