Christmas isn’t the only holiday that we need to celebrate on the December 25. Did you know that the 25th is actually National Pumpkin Pie Day, too? If you love classic pumpkin pie as it is, then you will love it even more with this twist. Try making this Caramel Topped Pumpkin Pie for all your holiday (socially distanced) gatherings this season!
Caramel Topped Pumpkin Pie
- Pre-made or homemade pie crust (for a 9″ pie pan)
- 1 can pumpkin pie filling or homemade
- For caramel topping: 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tbsp salted butter, 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Bake your pie crust and pumpkin pie filling per the canned pumpkin pie filling’s instructions. When the pie is done baking, set aside to cool while you make the caramel topping.
- To make the caramel topping, in a small saucepan, add in the 1/2 cup of sugar to coat the bottom of the saucepan. Cook the sugar on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn. Once all the sugar is melted, stop stirring and let the sugar continue cooking until the sugar turns a caramel color. Be careful once again not to burn it. Once the sugar has become a dark caramel color, take it off the heat.
- Stir 3 tbsp of butter into the caramel and whisk to combine. Then, slowly add in the 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream to thin out the caramel.
- Once your caramel is done, add the caramel to the top of your pie. Tilt the pie back and forth to make sure caramel covers the entire surface of the pie.
- Decorate the top of the pie with pie crust leaves or whipped cream dollops. Enjoy!