If you have little ones who can’t have gluten, we have a great gluten-free apple crisp recipe that will make sure they can join in on the apple fun. With only a few steps, this might become your new favorite go-to dessert without all the calories of a traditional apple pie!
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
Ingredients: Apple Filling
- 4-5 large granny smith or honey crisp apples
- 1/2 cup of honey, agave or real maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup of apple juice
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
Ingredients: Crisp topping
- 1 cup of oats (make sure they are certified gluten-free oats)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or nut of choice)
- 1/2 cup sugar of choice (coconut sugar, brown sugar, etc.)
- 1/2 cup almond flour, coconut flour or almond meal
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Get a baking dish for your crisp, it should be no bigger than a 9″ square or circle dish.
- Slice all of your apples and put the slices directly into the baking dish. You can choose to leave the skin on the apples or take it off, it is up to you!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining apple filling ingredients and make sure everything is combined. Once mixed well, pour over the sliced apples. Bake the filling in the oven for 20 minutes or until the apples begin to soften.
- While your apples are baking, mix together all of the topping ingredients except the butter. Once the ingredients are mixed, slowly pour the melted butter into the toppings mixture until it is crumbly and sticks together slightly.
- After about 20 minutes, take your apples out of the oven and spoon the topping mixture over the top of the apples to cover the apples evenly. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for another 25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let your gluten-free apple crisp cool for at least 15-20 minutes before digging in to prevent burnt tongues! It will be worth the wait!