Spend some time connecting with the kids this season by making these fun ornament keepsakes. Kids of any age can help with this fun project. Make them for your own tree or as gifts for family, friends or teachers!
Polyurethane spray or mod podge
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place aluminum foil on a cookie sheet.
- Mix 2 cups our and 1 cup salt together in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the mixture and blend all ingredients. Then gradually add another 1/2 cup water, mixing as you go.
- Once all water is incorporated, use your hands to knead the dough until smooth. This could take several minutes.
- Sprinkle some our on a piece of parchment paper and place the ball of dough on it. Using a rolling pin, roll until thin and consistent.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Using a straw, place a small hole in the top of the ornament (to put string through).
- Bake for approximately 1-1.5 hours at 325 degrees, or until dough is dry. Allow ornaments to cool completely.
- Decorate ornaments by painting and adding any accessories (such as buttons, pom poms, etc.). Allow to dry completely.
- Coat ornaments with a sealing product such as polyurethane spray. Allow to dry completely.
- Using yarn, string or ribbon, tie a string through the top hole.
- Using a permanent marker, write the year and name on the back of the ornament.
- Hang on the tree or gift it to a friend. They also make great teacher gifts!
Where to Find Santa This Season!
8 Must-Have Healthy Pantry Staples