Does all this rain have you and the kiddos stuck inside? Bring the fun of the outdoors inside with sleeping bags, flashlights, campfire stories and s’mores! Making a campsite in your living room is super easy and is sure to make everyone forget about the craziness of the outside world at least for a night.
What you will need for the campsite:
- Pop Up Tent (or sheets and blankets to make a fort)
- Sleeping bags
- Air mattresses (optional)
- Flash lights
- Activities like board games, story books, coloring pages and charades
- Coffee table (to put food on)
What to eat:
Grilled Hot Dogs and Cole Slaw
- A packet of your favorite hot dogs
- hotdog buns
- mustard and ketchup
- Cole slaw mix (cabbage, red cabbage and carrots)
- Cole Slaw dressing
- Grill your hotdogs on a grill pan or skillet on the stove, set aside.
- Assemble the hot dogs in the buns and display them on a tray.
- Assemble the Cole slaw in a large bowl by combining the Cole slaw mix with the dressing. Add salt and paper to taste.
- Bring the hot dogs, mustard, ketchup and Cole slaw to your “campsite” and set them on the coffee table. Have your family sit on the floor around the table to chow down on a classic hot dog dinner!
Tip: For a tasty twist your kids might love, top their hot dog with some Cole slaw for a Carolina Style hot dog! It might become their new favorite thing!
- Large marshmallows
- Gram crackers
- Milk chocolate bars
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Snap your gram crackers into squares and lay a layer of crackers down on a small cookie sheet.
- Place two pieces of chocolate on each cracker.
- Place one marshmallow on top of the chocolate.
- Bake the s’more for about 4-5 minutes or until the chocolate is melted and the s’mores are slightly browned.
- Take out the s’more and immediately top them with another cracker while they are still hot. Let them cool slightly before you and your family enjoy them!
Put it all together
Gather up the family, set up your campsite and dig in to dinner and dessert. Try to make this a night of “no technology” where you can just be present with each other. Your kiddos will love the uninterrupted time they get to spend with you, and they will love the novelty of getting to spend the night somewhere different! Happy Camping!