Not many can resist the buttery, salty scent of popcorn popping in the microwave. Luckily, January 19th is National Popcorn Day— the perfect day to give into the temptation!
Whether at the movie theater, in a bag at home, or as holiday decor, popcorn is among the most popular snacks in the United States. Americans consume about 13 billion quarts of popcorn a year, which is about 42 quarts per person!
How can you celebrate this delicious snack? Try out these recipes and fun activities.
Everybody’s favorite at-home, classic popcorn. Buy your preferred brand of microwavable or stove-top popcorn. Eat as is or add toppings like butter, cheese, caramel or seasonings. Then, throw on a movie and enjoy!
- Preferred brand of popcorn
- Preferred toppings
POPCORN SNACK MIX
This is a recipethat makes the classic popcorn snack a little more fun. A mixture of trail mix or popcorn, this snack is a great way to satisfy both your sweet and salty tooth. While you can add whatever additions you prefer, below are some recommendations.
- 1 packet of your preferred popcorn brand (about 6 cups of popped popcorn)
- 3 cups of of cereal (Chex or Crispix work the best)
- 1-½ cups of small pretzels
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-½ cups of M&M’s (Peanut M&M’s are a great alternative)
- Set the oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray non-stick cooking spray lightly onto the foil.
- Pour popped popcorn onto the sheet. Remove leftover kernels. Evenly spread and mix popcorn, cereal and pretzels onto the sheet.
- Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir the mixture and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, let sit for two minutes while stirring occasionally. After two minutes, remove the mixture from heat and drizzle evenly over the popcorn mixture. Toss the mixture in the pan to distribute evenly but then spread back into an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then stir the mixture and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and give it one more stir. Then spread the mixture back into an even layer and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Add in your M&M’s and enjoy!
CRAFT A POPCORN GARLAND
This crafting tradition doesn’t just have to be for Christmas. Most commonly seen around the Christmas tree, a popcorn garland is a simple and quirky decoration. Celebrate National Popcorn Day by making one for a porch or entryway!
- White popcorn kernels
- Fresh cranberries
- Floral wire, thread, dental floss or fishing line
- Glitter or beads (optional)
- Shellac finish (optional depending on how long you want your garland to last)
- Make your popcorn (recommended to do this a day or two before)
- Wash your cranberries and remove the mushy ones.
- If using floral wire, unravel the garland to the desired length (do not cut) and begin threading. If using other stringing material, unravel the garland to the desired length, and you will need to use a needle to thread through the popcorn and cranberries.
- Thread the popcorn, cranberries, and beads (optional) in your desired pattern.
- Continue until you fill the garland. Tie the ends into loops to hang if needed.
- Spray with Shellac finish to preserve the garland. It is recommended to do this twice; letting the garland dry between applications.
- Once the garland is fully dried, hang your new decoration!
GO SEE A MOVIE
I think most would agree that popcorn just tastes better at the movie theater. The irresistible scent fills the lobby and adds to the excitement of seeing a film on the big screen. So grab your friends or family and treat yourself to a movie with a large popcorn.
SOME MOVIES OUT THIS WEEK IN REGAL CINEMAS
- The 355
- Sing 2
- The King’s Man
- The Matrix Resurrections
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Betty White: A Celebration
- Redeeming Love
- West Side Story
- Nightmare Alley
GRAB SOME GOURMET POPCORN
Made with natural ingredients, gourmet popcorn is a delicious treat to enjoy on National Popcorn Day. The bagged snack usually comes in different flavors and always tastes fresh. Buy some or make your own!
- Giggles Gourmet Popcorn Company
- 6124-2 SW Highway 200, Ocala, FL 34476
- Publix Deli – They usually offer bagged fresh popcorn